Best Buddies in a nut-shell

Students in the club attend a Thanksgiving party

Senior+Abel+Tajonar+sings+Jingle+Bells+for+the+class+during+the+pizza+party+on+Nov.+17.+This+was+also+known+as+the+Thanksgiving+party+that+Best+Buddies+hosted.+

Skylar Greulich

Senior Abel Tajonar sings ‘Jingle Bells’ for the class during the pizza party on Nov. 17. This was also known as the Thanksgiving party that Best Buddies hosted.

Best buddies is a club that involves students with and without disabilities to unite and spend time together. The goal of the group is for friendship and unity. 

“It’s really about bringing inclusion and treating them just like we would treat anyone else and being friends with them no matter what,” senior Kyiah Strode said. 

She is the vice president of the best buddies program at SHS. To her, being in this group is important because it shows equality,being friendly and embracing everyone’s differences. 

She plans parties for holidays and events throughout the school year alongside president Meredith Ziegler. 

They have done a ‘get-to-know-you’ party, halloween party, pairing party and an upcoming Christmas party. The group has participated in the Homecoming parade Christmas Caroling at the senior houses with the club. 

At the end of the year, they do a friendship walk with the other best buddies programs in Indiana. The event corresponds with Unified track. 

Biology teacher Kayla Reed is a sponsor of best buddies and wants students to become a part of the club to make new friends. She decided to be a part of the group after working with  students and seeing them build friendships and relationships brought her joy.

“Best buddies taught me that friendships can come in all varieties,” Reed said. 

The club also faced challenges. It has been very hard for junior and president of the club, Meredith Ziegler, to get more students involved.

The group has combated this issue by advertising the group on SPTV and around the school. Ziegler says they want to start a fundraiser that sells shirts so the proceeds can go to giving the students more oppurtunities. 

She mentions that the students in CIP classes can stay until their 22nd birthday. Abel is an example and is currently a 21 year old student who has made many friends. 

Ziegler is close with a student named Nick. He loves the Indianapolis Colts and they would watch a game together on his phone during Ipass. 

It breaks Ziegler’s heart whenever she sees students ignore or be mean to them in the hallway but the best buddies program helps them. The students in this club have things to look forward to. 

“They’re just normal kids,” Ziegler said. “They just have a different way of looking at the world. Sometimes (one) doesn’t understand. That’s why we’re here to just be their friend.”

Senior Austin Brown gives Senior Abel Tajonar an embrace at the Thanksgiving party on Nov. 17. This was hosted by Best Buddies. (Skylar Greulich)
Sophomore Brooke Ladd and sophomore Brice DeVries talk with their friends at the back table while eating pizza on Nov. 17. The pizza was also served with drinks. (Skylar Greulich)