The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Building Belonging

Joining an extra-curricular can bring a sense of inclusivity.
Building Belonging

When I first started high school, I felt like I had nowhere I fit in. I didn’t have many friends because we started out on a hybrid schedule due to COVID-19, and all of my friends were on the other end of the alphabet from me. I didn’t have a club to join and actively be a part of because I didn’t have a means of transportation. I did know, however, that room 400, Mr. K’s room, was a place where I belonged. 

I think everyone in high school needs a club or sport in which they can feel like they belong. It’s so important that high schoolers get out of their comfort zone and meet friends in different places. 

My freshman year I started journalism and fell in love with it. I loved running to get interviews and writing a story in a timely fashion. I loved the idea of eventually being on The Journal staff. 

I know how hard it can be to feel like there’s nowhere that feels safe and comfortable and gives the sense of belonging. But, being a part of extracurriculars teaches so many lifelong skills and values that students need to be learning at a young age. 

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, extracurricular activities offer students the opportunity to learn the values of teamwork, a sense of responsibility, culture, community and teach about diversity. There have also been reports of students succeeding more in core classes like math and reading when they are a part of extracurriculars. 

My sophomore year came around, and I did end up joining the staff. I can say I wasn’t the best staff writer, but I got my work done and I enjoyed the work I was doing. I moved up the ranks and am now one of the top three editors on staff. I met some awesome people over the years who have helped push me to be the journalist I am and will become when I graduate high school and pursue journalism as a career. 

If it weren’t for the push I had to join an extracurricular in high school, I wouldn’t have a clue as to what I want to do with my life, and I also wouldn’t be in the position I am to write this editorial.