The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Cake made with love

Recipe for a red velvet heart-shaped cake
Salem Ortega-Morales

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! It’s a day of romantic, platonic and even desert love. This red velvet heart-shaped cake is the perfect way to treat yourself and your loved ones.

Ingredients
Cake
– 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– ¼ cup cocoa powder
– 1 tsp. baking soda
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 cup buttermilk
– 2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
– 2 tbsp. red food coloring

Frosting
– 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
– 4 tbsp. butter, softened
– 4 ¼ cups powdered sugar
– 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
– Pinch of salt

Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take one 8” round cake pan and one 8×8” square cake pan and either grease the insides or line them with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then, add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Add vanilla and beat again.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Once mixed, add half of the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Add the buttermilk, vinegar and red food coloring, beating to combine. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients.4

. Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 15 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack (place a cooling rack or plate on top of the cake and cake pan, then flip upside down so the cake is on the plate or rack).
6. To make the frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat again until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then, add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
7. Cut the round cake in half, and place the cut sides on two adjacent sides of the square cake, forming the shape of a heart. Then frost the cake entirely with your cream cheese frosting. Garnish with sprinkles, and enjoy!

Source: Delish