Falling behind

These tips can keep students caught up with school
Falling behind
Sal Lynch

I am quite possibly the worst procrastinator ever. Unlike some other people that developed this during the hybrid school schedule, I have been doing final projects the morning they were due since the third grade. But, great responsibility comes with great time management. Throughout my high school career, I’ve gone through many phases of productivity from severe procrastination to just turning assignments in mostly on time. My last year of high school is a new era. I’m turning over a new leaf, and you can too!

Work with free time
Everyone is allowed to take a break during their free time, but sometimes it’s better to utilize that time for schoolwork if there is an opportunity to do so. If you have three assignments due in two days but none today, during your free time, you could finish one today and then have more free time in two days. Aside from getting ahead for the free time, you could also be surprised by an unforeseen event. Whether your job calls you in or you missed that assignment on the Canvas to-do list, things come up unexpectedly. To combat this and put yourself more at ease, work ahead as you can.

Don’t save the things you are dreading for last
Typically people aren’t thrilled about doing something that they already dislike. But, waiting until the last second before something should be done can make you feel rushed and associate more stress with an already unpleasant task. If a person has an assignment due at 11:59 p.m. and they don’t get to start on it until 11 p.m., it might just feel pointless to even do it. This can become a slippery slope and lead to more procrastination. Getting your least favorite tasks out of the way first can give you a sigh of relief when the due date rolls around.

Keep a to-do list
While you would hope to not forget about a simple thing like submitting a math assignment, life can become chaotic very quickly. Writing things down on a to-do list can be very helpful for time management. Not only is this a reminder of what needs to be done, but this also can serve as a log of what has already been completed. For many people, crossing off a task on their list is just as satisfying as finishing the task itself. You can keep this list on their phone in the Notes app, simply write it down on a piece of paper or even use another app that sends notifications.